Try on the third solution-open WMV and play WMV files on Mac with free WMV player for Mac. This time, I don't recommend you the world-known VLC player, cuz this free media player for WMV sometimes plays WMV with only video no audio sound. And more importantly, it still doesn't catch up Mac OS X Yosemite, El capitan and macOS Sierra. A plug-in called “Flip4Mac” gives Quicktime the ability to play WMV files, VLC is a stand-alone cross-platform media player that can understand your Windows Media Video files, and if all else fails there is an old version of Windows Media Player for Mac OS X.
Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 was the last version of the Windows Media Player developed for Mac OS X. However, Mac users can use Flip4Mac WMV (also known as Microsoft Windows Media Components for QuickTime) to play WMV files. NOTE: Windows Media Audio (WMA) files are saved with a.WMA extension. Elmedia Video Player is a free media player for Mac OS. It can play pretty much any file type, be it AVI, MP4, FLV, SWF, WMV, MKV, MP3, M4V etc. Elmedia Video Player is an all-in-one solution that doesn't call for any additional plugins or codecs. This player has a wonderful HD experience to offer. Play back and convert Windows Media on your Mac For years, Flip4Mac components allowed you to play, import, convert and export Windows Media video and audio files on your Mac and were trusted by millions of Mac users for their stability and professional support.
Though WMV is natively supported by Windows Media Player, you may still need a WMV video player for Mac or Windows. WMV, stands for Windows Media Video, is a compressed video file format developed by Microsoft for Windows-based machines. For easy sharing via the email and internet, WMV are popular among most platforms.
Unfortunately, the pre-installed media player cannot decode WMV videos except Windows. On the other hand, there are a few media players support WMV files. This article will identify and share the best WMV video players available to Mac OS X and Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.
Part 1: Best cross-platform WMV player: AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player
Today, many people have multiple computers at work place and home that are running different operating systems. If you need a cross-platform WMV player, AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player is the best option, which offers a lot of advanced functionality for playing videos. The software can handle every type of video format you’re likely to come across, including WMV, MP4, MOV, AVI, FLV, etc. Aside from playing video files, it also offers supports for audio, as well as Blu-ray and DVD movies. The options for customizing video playback are very impressive.
- • Play WMV video files on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Mac OS X.
- • Utilize hardware and software acceleration technology to offer smooth video playback.
- • Support almost all video and audio formats in addition to WMV.
- • Let you enjoy 4K and 1080p HD videos without any lagging or quality loss.
- • Optimize and enhance video quality using advanced algorithm.
Anyway, it is the best way to watch WMV videos on your computer.
How to play WMV with the best quality
Step 1: Import WMV videos into the best video player
Download and install AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player on your PC. If you are using a MacBook Pro/Air/iMac, download the Mac version. Then launch it from your desktop and click the Open File button. In the open file dialog, locate the WMV file and open it, then you will be presented the menu interface.
Step 2: Customize WMV playback based on your needo
Select your favorite audio track and subtitle, and then hit the Play icon at bottom to start play the WMV file. You have several ways to control the playback. The quick control icons can be found at the bottom, as well as you can use hotkeys. If you want to reset advanced settings related to video and audio, go to the Video and Audio menu on the top ribbon.
Part 2: 4 best WMV players for Mac
Top 1: VLC Media Player
- • Support almost all video formats, including WMV, AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.
- • Lightweight and use little memory and process power when playback WMV.
- • Play online WMV videos from websites through video addresses and URL.
- • Compatible with Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X, iOS and Android devices.
- • Open source and totally free of charge without ads, spyware or virus.
Top 2: Elmedia Player
- • Decode popular media formats including WMV, FLV, SWF, AVI, and more.
- • Play WMV video files on Mac OS X without converting or transcoding.
- • Download online unprotected WMV videos from websites through the internet.
- • Create playlists and manage your favorite movies on Mac computers simply.
- • Include many bonus tools, such as making snapshot while playing videos and full screen mode.
Top 3: Movist
- • Support a large number of video and audio formats, like WMV, MOV, MP4, etc.
- • Work well on most devices running Mac operating systems.
- • Pack a concise interface that lets you to find what you want quickly and simply.
- • Allow you to adjust video saturation, brightness, contrast, playback speed, subtitles and other custom options.
- • Based on FFmpeg and QuickTime codecs, so free to download and use.
Top 4: MPlayerX
- • Support almost any video formats including WMV, AVI, MP4, MKV, etc.
- • Play both local videos and online media files for free.
- • Recognize the video files on your hard drive and decode them using the best codecs.
- • Let you enjoy WMV videos on Mac OS X with no additional plugins or codecs.
- • Pack a straight interface with extensive functionalities and available to both average people and advanced users.
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Catalina
Part 3: Top 4 WMV players for Windows
Top 1: Windows Media Player
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Windows 10
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Os
- • Pre-installed on any Windows operating systems and free of charge.
- • Lightweight and not require a lot of space on your desktop.
- • Able to play WMV video files on Windows 10/8/7 without extra plugins or codecs.
- • Support both playback of local video and audio files as well as online streaming.
- • Integrate full keyboard-based operation.
Top 2: MPC-HC
- • Open source and available to most video and audio formats, such as WMV, MP4, AVI, etc.
- • Extremely lightweight and no ads, spyware or toolbars.
- • Offer basic option custom options to adjust volume and other parameters.
- • Work well on any Windows machines including old computer back from 2000.
- • Get updates and support from the official website for free.
Top 3: GOM Media Player
- • Capable of playing audio and video formats like WMV, AVI, MKV, MOV, and more.
- • Incorporate multiple enhanced functionalities and settings.
- • Pack a friendly interface and easy to navigate and use.
- • Free to download and use if you do not mind the popups and ads.
- • Let you watch online videos while downloading.
Top 4: DivX
Key features:Scratch now formsabgames download pc.
- • Play your favorite videos encoded in WMV, MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.
- • Support video resolution up to 4K and full 1080p HD.
- • Cast any video files from computer to HDTV or smart TV.
- • Convert WMV video files to another format for playing on PC or mobile.
- • Offer both a free version and a pro version to meet different need.
Part 4: FAQs of WMV Player
What is a WMV file?
Microsoft Wmv Player For Mac Windows 7
Microsoft developed WMV (Windows Media Video) as a digital video format that works natively with Windows Media Player and other Microsoft applications.
Can VLC play WMV videos?
WMV file format can be easily played on Windows operating system using VLC media player.
How can I play WMV files in Chrome?
Google Chrome will not automatically play WMV files as this requires Windows Media Player, which is not a default plug-in within the Chrome browser. You use VLC to play a WMV file in Chrome. Make sure that you have installed VLC with all plugins/extensions. Then, go to Google Web Store and type “chrome://plugins”. You will receive a notification “VLC Web Plugin” that means you have successfully installed VLC Media Player plugin for Chrome.
This post has shared top 9 WMV video players for Windows and Mac users to enjoy video files on their computers. WMV is a popular video format; however, QuickTime and most media players on Mac cannot decode WMV files. Moreover, multi-device users expect to get a cross-platform WMV player. Therefore, we identified the best media players compatible with WMV format based on the lab testing and hundreds of users' report. We hope that our sharing are helpful to you.