26 November 2019
Mac Adware Cleaner Review: Basic Features and Drawbacks Before moving to the main question of this article, look at the summary of its reviews on the Internet. Some of them are negative while others are highly promotional like “Mac Adware Cleaner is the best free maintenance and anti-malware tool for an Apple computer. Jan 27, 2020 Next on my Mac cleaner review list is MacCleanse, another functional Mac storage cleaner which guarantees an efficient cleaning process. The app is engineered to dig through all the contents in your Mac to get rid of all unwanted stuff. And the best thing is that it does everything fairly quickly and easily. Mac Adware Cleaner Review: Basic Features and Drawbacks Before moving to the main question of this article, look at the summary of its reviews on the Internet. Some of them are negative while others are highly promotional like “Mac Adware Cleaner is the best free maintenance and anti-malware tool for an Apple computer. Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Adware Zap Browser Cleaner. Download Adware Zap Browser Cleaner for macOS 10.11 or later and enjoy it on your Mac. May 16, 2019 Re: Mac adware cleaner In reply to noirdesir. Nov 17, 2016 Thank you all for your help and advice, I have contacted apple support, it has now been removed and was advised to install malware bytes.
Yes, you should!
To protect your system you need to check for and remove adware from your Mac regularly.
Because adware removal is no longer an option. Despite popular misconceptions that “Macs don’t get viruses,” the opposite is true. In fact, the very first virus - or malware (malicious software) - was designed to infect Apple computers.
Today, the biggest threats to Mac users is adware - the largest category of malware aimed at Mac computers - and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), also known as potentiallyunwanted applications (PUAs).
The latest AV-TEST reports highlight the threat of MacOS malware and PUPs over the last several years:
New types of macOS malware diagnosed:
- 57,603 in 2019 (as of November 21, 2019)
- 94,012 in 2018
- 222,774 since 2010
New PUPs identified:
- 2019: 48,077 (as of November 21, 2019)
- 2018: 79,079
- Since 2010: 806,592
According to Malwarebytes, adware and PUP have become pervasive. Even the Mac App Store has been overrun to the extent that certain classes of software - including antimalware and antivirus - cannot be trusted not to be malware.
That’s why you can’t afford to ignore adware.
To begin let’s explain what adware is and why you need to protect yourself against it.
What is Adware and Why is it Dangerous?
Designed to scam advertisers and search engines, adware works in two different ways:
- It places fraudulent ads on websites where they don’t belong to trick you into clicking on a link and taking you to a website you never intended to visit.
- It changes your default search engine and hijacks your searches to point to websites who pay the producers of adware affiliate revenue for referrals.
Many versions of adware contain hidden viruses that pose a risk to your data and privacy. However, most antivirus programs won’t detect adware. If they do, they’ll most likely flag it as a PUP without quarantining or removing it.
In most cases, adware is considered to be a PUP. Often bundled with other software, PUPs are adware, ransomware, or spyware unrelated to any program you downloaded. Generally irritating and unwanted, they may include advertising, pop-ups, and toolbars.
PUPs may also be downloaded unwittingly as fake antivirus or anti-adware apps, cleaning apps, or keyloggers (used to monitor the online activities of children or employees).
How do I Know if My Mac is Infected with Adware?
There are several ways to identify the presence of adware on your Mac including:
- Redirection to a seemingly genuine website with incredible offers that seem too good to be true. Small initial donations or payment typically end up as larger amounts assubscriptions to software or various websites - usually pornographic.
- Multiple pop-ups launched simultaneously after clicking on a link advertising software updates or notifying you of the expiration of your software license - even if you don’t use that software.
- More ads than usual appearing in search results and on web pages that you don’t usually expect to see, including banners and advertisements embedded in the text aslinks.
- Your homepage is replaced with another website without your knowledge.
- Toolbars appear unexpectedly in your browser.
- Your Mac performance seems to be slower than normal.
If you see or experience any of these symptoms, you need to take action.
What is the Most Common Adware for Macs?
Adware appears as a Trojan, or Trojan horse, one of the most dangerous types of malware. Often piggybacking on another program, it promises one thing; but delivers another, tricking you into unwittingly installing something you never intended to. These include:
- Intrusive banners
- New toolbars
- New plugins
How do I Find Adware on My Mac?
The best way to find and get rid of adware is to either manually discover it or use one of the adware remover tools referred to below. Following either of these approaches will allow you to find adware and remove it from your system.
What are the Best Adware Removal Tools for Macs?
What are your best choices? Here are the top two adware removal tools tools the MacUpdate community recommends:
- Current Version: 4.0
- System Requirements: OS X 10.11 El Capitan, macOS 10.12 Sierra or higher.
- Licensing: 14-day free trial for protection and remediation. Once the trial ends, the product reverts to the free version, which only offers remediation. Subscription for one device is $39.99 per year with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
A no-frills, adware cleaner designed to detect, protect, and remediate. The free version detects the presence of adware and removes it, while the paid version includes additional protection capabilities.
- Attractive, icon-based user interface
- Easy to use manual scans
- Scans the average Mac in 30 seconds or less
- Subscription-based with free upgrades and updates
Free version offers remediation
- Removes adware programs including Genieo, Vidx, and VSearch
Paid version includes automated scans and protection
- Adware, malware, ransomware, spyware, and viruses
- Proactively blocks adware, PUPs, and downloads of suspect software
- Automatic updates for the latest Malwarebytes protection
- Non-standard approach to malware detection
- Some users have experienced machine instability following install
- No detection of Windows malware
Read all about Malwarebytes for Mac with reviews from our readers on MacUpdate.
- Version Reviewed: 126.96.36.19973
- Date Reviewed: 22 November 2019
- Current Version: 1.1.8918
- System Requirements: OS X 10.7 Lion, macOS 10.12 Sierra or higher.
- Licensing: Free.
An easy to use, free tool that identifies and removes unwanted malware including adware, browser add-ons, malicious hijacker programs, and toolbars.
- Simple, attractive interface
- Non-invasive adware identification and removal
- Does not require installation
- Scans hard disks for adware and removes it
- Identifies adware such as Genio, MacKeeper, and Vsearch
Read all about Bitdefender Adware Removal Tool for Mac with reviews from real readers on MacUpdate.
- Version Reviewed: 1.1.8918
- Date Reviewed: 14 November 2019
How do I Manually Remove Adware on My Mac?
The first thing that may come to mind is Googling a description of the problem and installing the first thing that claims to fix it. Don’t! You’ll probably just downloading more malware to compound the problem.
To manually find adware on Macs and remove it, follow these steps:
Identify and remove suspicious applications
- Click on your Go on your macOS status bar
- When the drop-down menu appears, click on Utilities and choose Activity Monitor
- Review the list for suspect applications, e.g. Genio and InstallMac, and kill the process by clicking the X icon at the top left
- When the dialogue box appears, choose Force Quit
- Go back to Applications and drag the malicious application to Trash
- Reboot your Mac and empty Trash
Prevent malicious applications from reinstalling themselves by launching at startup.
- Click on the Apple logo on your macOS status bar.
- When the drop-down menu appears, click on System Preferences and choose Users & Groups.
- Select your account and click on Login Items.
- Browse the list for any suspicious applications and click on the “-” to prevent it from launching when you boot your Mac.
Block and get rid of pop-ups in your browser settings.
- Safari: Go to Preferences, click on the Security icon at the top of the window, and check the Block pop-up windows box.
- Chrome: Click on the menu in the top right-hand corner (the three horizontal lines), choose Settings, and click on Show advanced settings. Under Privacy, select Content Settings, and under Pop-ups, click on Do not allow any site to show pop-ups.
Confirm that your homepage and search engine settings have not been changed.
- Safari: Go to Preferences, click on the General tab, and confirm that the Homepage field is either empty or contains the URL of the site you want to appear when you launch your browser. Choose the Search tab and confirm that the default search engine is correct.
- Chrome: Click on the menu in the top right-hand corner (the three horizontal lines), choose Settings, and click on On Startup. Either select one of the available options or click on Open a specific page or set of pages. Check that the entries are what you want.
Remove malicious extensions - programs designed to add value to the browsing experience - and confirm that only the ones you’ve installed are active. If you’re not sure what an extension is or does, remove it.
- Safari: Go to Preferences, click on the Extensions tab, and uninstall any extensions you’re not sure of.
- Chrome: Click on the menu in the top right-hand corner (the three horizontal lines), choose Settings, and click on Extensions. Uncheck the Enabled checkbox for any extensions you don’t want or delete it by clicking on the trash icon on the right.
How do I Protect Myself Against Adware?
There are several simple steps that you can take to prevent adware from being installed on your Mac:
- Avoid clicking on pop-up while browsing the Internet. Close all pop-ups using the red “X” button in the top right corner. DO NOT click on any of the buttons within the pop-up window.
- Do not open unsolicited email attachments or download software from untrustworthy websites or peer-to-peer file transfer networks.
- Keep your browsers, operating system, and plugins up-to-date.
- Only download apps from recognized stores.
- Use a good antimalware program with layered protection. It should scan and detect malicious activity while offering real-time defence - to proactively block threats such as ransomware - and automated remediation.
The Bottom Line
Adware is on the rise, so you need to protect yourself against it! It’s not difficult, but you need to follow these three simple steps:
- Be careful about the websites you visit, the attachments you download, and the applications you install.
- Regularly check for and remove adware.
- If required, use one of the adware removal tools MacUpdate readers recommend.
As the old saying goes, better safe than.. getting malware on your Mac. You know what we mean.
If you manually try to keep your Mac tidy and clean, you’ll be wasting endless hours deleting files, folders, images, and videos. Plus there are countless places where junk accumulates on a hard drive, and those places will be very difficult to find the manual way.
But luckily, there are better ways: Enter Mac cleaners!
A Mac cleaner saves you from all this tedious cleaning. And today, millions of users benefit from affordable cleaning software to save valuable time.
And did you know most Mac users can have up to 62 GB of junk on their devices? That’s definitely an alarming figure. And this might be one of the reasons why your Mac does not run at its peak.
Now, let’s check out some of the best Mac cleaner apps on the market. Starting with the best one:
Best Mac Cleaner Software in 2020: CleanMyMac X
CleanMyMac X grabs the winning spot with its multi-faceted features and intuitive dashboard. Not surprisingly, since the developers knows the ins and outs of how a Mac works, and how it can be cleaned most effectively.
First, let me say I loved the one-button cleaning system, which mechanically cleans selected parts of my Mac. In addition to meticulous cleaning operations, CleanMyMac X also offers valuable monitoring and maintenance features, making it easier to uninstall applications. No residue files are left behind as it takes care of plugins, widgets, and extensions!
Secondly, the Smart Cleanup function scanned my Mac in less than a minute. Now that’s pretty impressive considering I have a 500GB solid-state drive! Not only is it fast, but it easily detected heaps of junk, and swiftly got rid of all types of junk files.
Another feature I like is Large & Old Files, a scan that sorts your files into different groups. This is great since you don’t have to check every folder manually to ensure thorough cleaning.
Furthermore, you can easily eliminate several broken items, old logs, and outdated caches. And it will also get rid of all localization files for the languages you don’t need. There’s no other tool that promises a more convenient way to remove broken downloads, old software updates and device backups. And you’re probably not aware of the cache files hidden in your photo library. CleanMyMac takes care of that too! Mac users can save gigabytes without ever losing a single image.
CleanMyMac X continues to dominate the Mac cleanup software industry and enjoys a strong reputation in a competitive market. The software has a free trial for a limited time. However, a single full license is going to cost you a little under $40.
Best Mac Cleaner Runner Up’s
The following tools will also do a good cleaning job. However, they may not always be as efficient as CleanMyMac X. CleanMyMac X s the only tool that completely eliminates all junk, uninstalls unnecessary applications, plus deletes any unwanted files they leave behind. And in combination with its superior features and sleek interface, there’s just no other Mac cleaning apps that come close.
But let’s have a look at the alternatives. Starting with Drive Genius 5:
Runner Up #1: Drive Genius 5
Drive Genius 5 does a great job using its optimization and de-fragging tools. The software automatically scans your system to identify malware, making it easy to get rid of duplicate files and identify a lot of hardware-related problems.
Furthermore, the cleaner software repairs most kinds of folder errors and logical files to prevent future problems. Users can explore through 3 functional modules; Protect, Speed Up and Clean Up:
- The Speed Up module offers two features: Defragment and a Speed tab.
- The Clean Up module has several different tools, including Repartition which shows you all of your Mac partitions so you can delete or organize them to free up space on your Mac. However, this feature is not available on macOS High Sierra.
- The Protect module offers functional features, such as Malware Scan to inspect all your files in search of any malware. This list is updated daily. The Physical Check feature fixes all kinds of hardware issues that could lead to any damage.
Drive Genius 5 also finds duplicates and larger files that you probably don’t need. And thanks to its Clone features, the cleaner figures out your drive configuration, in case you need to copy it’s content to a new drive. Finally, there’s a handy Repair and Rebuild features to give you more control over the cleaning process.
Unfortunately, there’s no possibility of recovery.
Drive Genius 5 is not free, and you need to make a one-time payment to use any of the three plans:
- Standard With BootWell Drive: $94
- Standard: $79
- Professional: $299 (annual fee)
Runner Up #2: iMobie MacClean
MacClean guarantees a secure, fast, and meticulous cleaning, thanks to its cutting-edge technologies and services. The cleaner features standard Mac cleaning and OS system maintenance features, but also de-clutters your Mac so you can increase your device’s efficiency. No more cleaning your Mac manually as the new Junk Cleanup feature promises in-depth cleaning by deleting all developer-oriented and unused data.
Furthermore, MacClean is a great way to shield your internet activities from prying eyes. Thanks to its quick Internet Cleanup feature, you stay protected from all kinds of online privacy threats. The cleaner removes all cookies, saved passwords, caches, and useless website data on all your browsers. Mac users can erase all traces of recently opened files, docs, apps, and web servers they have been connected with.
Finally, MacClean fixes several other issues that compromise a user’s privacy. For example, cleaning up malware so your computer is safe, and make sure there are no unwanted files and folders that can adversely affect your Mac’s performance.
Users can purchase a personal license for just about $30 and a family license for almost $40. You will also get responsive support via tickets or emails.
Runner Up #3: MacBooster 7
MacBooster 7 is another beneficial Mac cleaner which leaves a good impression. The cleaning app offers plenty of useful tools to identify and fix your Mac storage issues. Every tool is specifically named so you know what to expect from each feature.
First, the Scan/Fix button is accessible at all times, and the system status is blended in with the UI. However, some beginners might find it difficult to use as there’s no backup, which means all changes are permanent. Make sure you click the “>” button which is next to each category so you can carefully review the findings.
Secondly, the tool also offers an impressive Performance Boost tool. This feature enables you to shutdown low-level services so you can speed up your Mac further. There’s also a handy toolbox that features five cool tools: Duplicates finder, memory cleaner, large files cleaner, startup optimization, and uninstaller.
Mac users can delete up to 20 different types of junk files, and remove viruses and malware to protect the device. In addition to that, this advanced mac cleaner also optimizes the hard disk to improve your Mac’s performance.
These five cleanup tools can easily remove gigabytes of junk from the computer. Cleaning up and de-cluttering your Mac is crucial for Mac users who have smaller SSD hard disks. Users can also choose between these options, according to their preferences:
- Complete Remove: This option lets you remove an entire application along with its library files and system files
- Application Reset: The reset only removes customization and settings to take the application to its initial state.
Runner Up #4: MacCleanse
Next on my Mac cleaner review list is MacCleanse, another functional Mac storage cleaner which guarantees an efficient cleaning process. The app is engineered to dig through all the contents in your Mac to get rid of all unwanted stuff. And the best thing is that it does everything fairly quickly and easily.
Mac Adware Cleaner Reviews Consumer Reports
With a simple and unique interface, users can easily choose from various options to identify and clean their devices. Since each tab provides a brief and easy to understand explanation, you know what you’re clicking on to start the cleaning process.
For that very reason, this advanced Mac cleaner software is one of the best for beginners who are not too familiar with cleaner tools. Thanks to its customization and in-depth scanning, you can easily delete useless language packs that are installed on your Mac. To a lot of users, this might not seem like a big deal. However, computer experts know how much disk space they can take.
Furthermore, you also have the uninstaller feature. While most users easily remove a program from Mac, there may be a bunch of random unwanted files and folders that are scattered around your computer. To make sure you remove a program completely, you can easily delete it using this app.
Users can opt from a variety of erasure types and upgrade to military-grade later. This is a great app to disable unwanted login items that usually slow down your system startup or hog background CPU usage. MacCleanse is relatively cheaper than many popular Mac cleaner apps and costs just about $20.
Runner Up #5: DaisyDisk
DaisyDisk is popular for its intuitive and simple interface. Not only can users view large files, but they can also delete all irrelevant data through a simple process.
When you launch this Mac storage cleaner, the first screen you will see represents an overview of the disks that are attached to your device. It mechanically displays the amount of space that is left on each of your drives. And you can easily scan your drives to identify the data that you need to delete. However, you can skip this scan and scan an individual folder as well.
The tool lets you view a unique representation of all the files on your system using a daisy wheel-like image. You also get a clever color-coding, that shows exactly how much memory is consumed by each block. While this representation gives you an inclusive overview of your disk’s hierarchy, it does not narrow down the items you intend to get rid of.
When you click on any block, it opens up into another daisy wheel to provide similar information about the particular block. This feature allows you to keep clicking so you can dig deeper into your device’s content. You can easily navigate your way in or out of the screen by clicking on arrows. Users can easily find a large file to preview and delete its content, in case they don’t need it anymore.
DaisyDisk is an ideal choice for photographers, artists, and IT professionals worldwide when it comes to cleaning Mac computers. Since all displayed data is in real-time, there’s always an opportunity to see if there’s enough space to download an HD movie or install a new game.
The time needed to scan the drive usually varies on the size, but it normally takes 10 to 15 seconds to scan 100GB of data. You can enjoy a free version or buy it for just around $10.
The aim of this study was to elucidate whether ovarian tissue is able to withstand a double freezing-thawing procedure. Human ovarian cortical biopsies from 4 thawed whole ovaries were divided into 4 experimental subgroups: (a) frozen-thawed non-grafted group, (b) frozen-thawed xenografted group, (c) refrozen-rethawed non-grafted group, and (d) refrozen-rethawed xenografted group. ReTHAWed, A Mod Project for American Wasteland. Powered by Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Rethawedhome. Altered Player Lighting Values and Scenic Lighting Values for a less washed out look.Updated the Launcher.Fixed Widescreen Patch, now truly widescreen. (Main plan for future updates ahead.
Who Should Use a Mac Cleaner?
The main reason why people get a Mac cleaner is because they want to reclaim storage space. But there are other reasons, and you may need a cleaner if:
- You’re a new Mac user and don’t know how to properly manage your device.
- You don’t want to clean your Mac manually.
- Your Mac frequently runs out of disk space.
However, a cleaner app may not help older Macs that are already running a lot slower than most modern devices. Remember that cleaning your computer will not help if it has some general performance issues.
How to Choose the Best Mac Cleaner Apps in 2020
Before we review this year’s best Mac cleaners, let’s briefly discuss the crucial factors we need to consider when choosing the best app for cleaning your Mac.
- Core functions: The basic goal of using Mac clean up tools is to free up storage space. That’s why you need to choose a one-stop solution that cleans all the unwanted and junk files from your computer without having to install third-party utilities. Downloading software that eats up memory is definitely a big no.
- Effectiveness: Effectiveness is another crucial factor. Sadly, most Mac clean up software fails to deliver what they claim. The best disk cleaner for Mac OS X should save a significant amount of disk space by deleting all junk and old iOS backups. And the software should also be able to identify duplicate photos and successfully un-install all third-party apps, for a thorough cleaning job.
- Ease of Use: You shouldn’t have to be a technical wizard to use a Mac cleaner app. Today, developers incorporate usability and intuitive features to ensure every app is easy to understand and use. There’s no need for a flashy or sleek user interface. All you need is a tool that comes with basic features and is easily accessible via navigation buttons.
- Cost: Who doesn’t want a free Mac cleaner? But, cheap Mac cleaning software is only great if they do a great job. Let’s face it. Paid Mac cleaner apps have more to offer to make your life easier. As pricing options vary, you can choose an app that best suits your needs and fits into your budget. Let’s take the example of CleanMyMac X which costs just under $40. However, that’s a one-time fee. Other apps may charge you an additional annual fee.
- Customer Service: What if you need to ask a technical question related to your app? Luckily, most developers and companies can be easily reached. But if a developer fails to give their contact information, such as live chat, email, or phone, it’s best to find an alternative. Most paid cleaning tools guarantee a swift customer service experience so you don’t have to wait for answers.
Mac Adware Cleaner Reviews Amazon
What Is The Best Mac Cleaner in 2020?
Hard drives are vulnerable to damage if not cleaned for longer periods. And to ensure your Mac keeps running swiftly and smoothly for years, you should use a powerful cleaning tool like CleanMyMac X to get rid of files associated with junk.
CleanMyMac X offers a convenient one-button cleaning system, which mechanically cleans the parts that need to be optimized. And users also have the option to manually control the cleanup process.
Why CleanMyMac X is better than other cleaners:
- Best performer. Eliminated all junk from my system
- The smart cleanup feature is launched with a single click
- The privacy feature clears all data about your computer usage
- Features both Smart Cleanup and Deep Cleaning
- Offers other useful features, such as Uninstaller and Shredder
- Incredibly easy to use with an intuitive and sleek user interface
- Smart dashboard that presents all information in one place
CleanMyMac X will also be beneficial when you’re preparing your device for sale. Thanks to this software, you can remove junk with just a click. There’s no need to worry about visiting each individual directory and getting things cleaner. So, in short, CleanMyMac will help you optimize your Mac in every manner.
Mac Adware Cleaner Reviews Cnet
In closing, I hope my best mac cleaning software review was helpful when you’re making your choice. I also recommend that you look around our site to learn about other online software for small business owners. For example, our CleanMyMac X review and dr.fone review articles. Also, if you have any questions about this Mac tuneup reviews or something else, don’t hesitate to send me an e-mail using my contact form.
Mac Adware Cleaner Review
Tim is an engineer and small business owner from Northern California. He’s an outgoing creative writer and tech blogger who has a passion for helping people and building creativity in the mind, through outstanding how-to guides, articles, and honest software reviews.